Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sticky Chicken - In the CrockPot

Awhile ago, I was introduced to a fantastic resource on the web. Sparkpeople.com is a free online resource that allows you to count your calories, exercise, water intake and more. They also have free meal plans and recipes. I have made their recipe for Sticky Chicken in the oven before.

When I previously made Sticky Chicken, I could only find the small roasting chickens in packages of two. This meant that I had one in the freezer. I took it out of the freezer yesterday to defrost, but it still was rock hard this morning. This might have something to do with my 50 degree kitchen. I knew I could cook it longer, but needed to get those giblets out! Being the awkward chef I am, I ran hot water into the cavity until the giblets were soft enough to scoop out - oh the bag had ripped way early in this process!

Fast forward to rinsing the chicken, my husband said, "Is that going in the Crock Pot." I hadn't planned on it, but figured it was worth a shot. If I can successfully make this in the Crock Pot, it would make it not only a Sunday dinner, but any day of the week. For the seasonings, I followed most of the spark recipe, but adapted for what I had on hand. I also put one can of low-fat chicken broth in the Crock Pot to keep everything moist.

Sticky Chicken
Adapted from Sparkpeople.com



Ingredients



  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 2 teaspoons paprika

  • 1 teaspoon red pepper

  • 1 teaspoon onion powder

  • 1 teaspoon thyme

  • 1 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning

  • 3-4 lb. roasting chicken

  • 1 cup chopped onion (or the handy pre-chopped onion from Stop & Shop!)
  • 1 can low-fat chicken broth


1. In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin.


2. When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onions (I put extra onions on the outside of the chicken), and place in crock pot in a can of chicken broth. After the first hour, baste the chicken occasionally (every half hour or so) with pan juices. The pan juice will start to caramelize on the bottom of the pan and the chicken will turn golden brown. If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it. Let chicken rest about 10 minutes before carving.



Makes 4 servings.
VERDICT: Well, the one thing about this Sticky Chicken in the Crock Pot was that it definitely was not sticky. Not baking the chicken took away the sticky, yummy and full of spice skin. However, the entire chicken was incredibly moist and as you can see from the picture an awesome stock was created. I added some carrots about an hour before we ate and served some of the carroty stock over the chicken. We had a side of green beans. I thought that it tasted delicious. The seasonings made it incredibly flavorful. This is a recipe I will repeat, but also will hold on to the original recipe.

As a result, we are having chicken noodle soup for dinner tomorrow night! I had planned on broccoli cheddar soup, which is quick and easy, but this will be even easier. I returned the leftover chicken to the crock pot in the stock. I will heat this all up tomorrow with some additional vegetables and add pasta. If I'm really ambitious, I'll make some dumplings - however, as a teacher and tomorrow being the first day back from break - I wouldn't bet on it. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment