Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mrs. H's Famous Broccoli Cheese Soup

When I was getting married last year, my coworkers threw me a fantastic bridal shower. One of the best gifts was a box of recipes each staff member wrote down for me. These ranged from easy favorites to more elaborate meals. While my absolute favorite was the card with all the numbers for the local pizza places -- the one that I've grown to love and make over and over again is this recipe for Broccoli Cheese Soup. I made it this time with fat-free cheese and it did not melt well (still tasted good). So much for trying to be healthy! Fat-free half and half does taste great though. I also added some diced ham to make it a heartier meal.

Broccoli Cheese Soup
Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 10 oz packages of frozen chopped broccoli -- thawed
  • 4 tsp chicken flavored bouillon cubes
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 cups shredded cheddar
  • 2 cups coffee cream or half and half
Procedure

  • In a large kettle, cook onion in margarine until tender.
  • Stir in flour until smooth.
  • Gradually add water, then broccoli, bouillon and Worcestershire sauce
  • Over medium heat, cook and stir until thickened and broccoli is tender -- about 10 minutes
  • Add cheese and cream.
  • Cook and stir until cheese melts and soup is hot, do not boil.
  • Makes about 2 quarts. Refrigerate leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment