Sunday, February 7, 2010

Southwestern Layered Bean Dip

It is Super Bowl Sunday!! We are going over to my parent's for the game, but it will just be my husband, my mom and myself. My mom is making chicken wings and some other dishes. I'm bringing this dip and a salad. Low key and yummy!

Last year I did a search for "Healthy Super Bowl Recipes" and this one came up. It was super fantastic and so I'm making it again. I've eliminated the olives because my husband hates them and I feel like being nice today. I sprinkled in some Cajun seasoning in honor of the Saints! I've also eliminated the jalapeno slices since I hate all peppers! (You'll notice that theme in my cooking.)

Southwestern Layered Bean Dip
From: www.eatingwell.com

Ingredients:
  • 1 16-ounce can nonfat refried beans”
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
  • 4 scallions, sliced
  • 1/2 cup prepared salsa
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack, or Cheddar cheese (I used "macho taco")
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1 medium avocado, chopped
Procedure:

  • Combine refried beans, black beans, scallions, salsa, cumin, and chili powder in a medium bowl. Transfer to a shallow 2-quart microwave-safe dish; sprinkle with cheese.
  • Microwave on High until the cheese is melted and the beans are hot, 3 to 5 minutes.
  • Spread sour cream evenly over the hot bean mixture, then scatter with lettuce, tomato, avocado
  • To make ahead, c0mplete the first step and refrigerate. Cut up the veggies and store in a separate container. When ready to serve continue the recipe.

Oh and my mom wanted to share her beautiful arrangement of Shrimp Cocktail...

No comments:

Post a Comment