Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Potato and Canadian Bacon Slow Cooker Chowder

If you've been reading my blog, you know that I love a good chowder on a cold day. I've tried a few corn chowders and this time it was a delicious potato chowder. However, I would add in corn to this recipe next time! It was also my first time cooking with barley and I love the consistency of the chowder as a result. It was flavorful, warm and soothing on a very busy day! This is a Weight Watchers recipe addition, with a few changes by me (of course).

Potato and Canadian Bacon Slow Cooker Chowder
From WeightWatchers.com

Ingredients
  • 2 cup(s) potato(es), cut into 1/2-inch cubes

  • 1 large carrot(s), diced (I chopped up a handful of mini carrots)

  • 1 cup(s) leek(s), chopped, white part only

  • 1 medium garlic clove(s), minced

  • 4 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth

  • 1/2 cup(s) uncooked barley

  • 1 piece(s) bay leaf

  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed

  • 1/4 tsp black pepper

  • 4 oz Canadian-style bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I used sliced ham -- same thing right?)

  • 1/2 cup(s) fat-free milk

Procedure
  • In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, leek, garlic, broth, barley, bay leaf, thyme, pepper and bacon; cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
  • Stir in milk and heat until it is warm.
  • Note: The original recipe calls for evaporated milk and fat free half and half. I just used milk and I thought the chowder was perfect. Click through to the original if you want to make it "authentically".

1 comment:

  1. oh, that looks and sounds so good! I never comment on your blog, but I'm always reading it!

    ReplyDelete